Wednesday 24 March 2010

No! My PS3 is Dead! - UPDATE

Okay, so I had an email from SCEE, asking me to phone them quoting a reference number. So I did this today on my lunch break, and spoke to a very helpful lady.

She asked for the serial number of the console, which I gave her, after which she confirmed that the warranty had expired. She then proceeded to talk me through putting the PS3 into safe mode, which then gives you 6 options on screen. She told me to select the third option, which scans the hard drive and fixes any errors.

I got an error message telling me that the HDD was corrupted; she told me this was a generic message - good to know.

After the scan was finished, I tried two game discs - nothing.

She then advised me that I should do a full PS3 system restore - which will taken between 2 - 4 hours. Before doing this, I should use the backup utility to save everything on either USB flash drive or external hard drive.

Here comes the crunch:

If that still hasn't resolved the issue, I'll get a new PS3. But. I need to pay £131.00 for it. For that price, I'll get a new PS3 - either the same one that I have now - fat, 60gb, backwards compatible, or a fat 160gb but without the features of my current model. The new PS3 will be delivered to my door, whereupon I will give the driver my bust PS3, and he will give me my new one.

I really hope it doesn't come to this.

But come on, let's think about this. I paid somewhere in the region of £260 for a PS3 two years and three months ago. Is it really fair/right/ethical to think that I can be charged an extra £131.00 for an unknown fault that has developed?

What would you do?

No comments: