Sunday 31 August 2008

WALL•E


I must admit, I was skeptical about this game. I downloaded it, played it for five minutes, and gave it up as a pile of trash.

But then I reasoned with myself - I hadn't even bothered checking what the controls were, I hadn't given it long enough, and I had been a bit annoyed that the opening cut scene couldn't be skipped.


So, arming myself with knowledge of the controls, giving myself half an hour, and planning to have a snooze during the opening scene, I tried the demo again.


My first impressions are that the graphics are really, really good - despite my rubbish TV (Donate to my HDTV cause just over there --->!). Just the shiny floor and WALL.E's tyre tracks amazed me - I know, simple things and all that.


I knew now how to jump and how to construct boxes. These two moves are really intrinsic to the game - for example, some areas are only accessible by keeping hold of the jump button, and using yellow magnetic surfaces to get from one area to another. You need to construct boxes to power up Vendor points that will then allow access to other areas, or turn on objects that you need to use.

MO, a little robot that chases WALL.E around, does get a bit annoying - it's constantly trying to box WALL.E up, but a well thrown box to the head sorts him out - for a while.


I actually found the demo quite engrossing. I haven't yet seen the film, as it doesn't really appeal, and that's how I felt about this game. But I found the demo took me about half an hour - partly because I was exploring, partly because some parts I found a bit difficult!

Would I buy this game? Not at the moment. But if I've got a spare tenner in my pocket, and I see it in the shops, then yeah, I wouldn't hold back.

My overall rating? 6/10.


I would definitely recommend downloading the demo from the PSN and giving it a go - and if you do, make sure you pick up Buzz Lightyear, lurking in the level!


Your comments are welcome!


No comments: